Pee-wee to the rescue

So Kirstin and I are trying to walk off last night's pizza and 4 drinks. OK, we'd have to walk to Chile to do that, but you know what I mean. We set off on our favorite jaunt ("favorite is generous.......I hate walking, but I hate nagging more). Almost immediately, a very homely dog "adopts us". That is, he begins walking with us as though he's our dog.

Tail wagging, all full of enthusiasm............we name him Pee-Wee. He looks like a German Shepherd with extremely short legs. And he's ugly. Very ugly. Whatever.

As we chug up and down each hill, Pee-Wee keeps up. It's going on two miles now and we're starting to worry that Pee-Wee might try to swim to our boat. Now I'd normally be convincing Kirstin that we need this dog, but there's just nothing to like about Pee-Wee. Just an ugly weird looking mutt.

Then, we round a corner and three large guard dogs come racing after us as we approach the intersection. The owner left the gate open, and these dogs were really aggressive- growling, bearing their teeth.......barking like hell. I really like dogs and I was scared. Kirstin hates dogs and was absolutely petrified. But I have to say, Pee-Wee stepped up.

In a gesture I could only describe as suicidal, Pee-Wee got between us and the three oncoming Doberman's (or whatever they were). His bark was pathetic, and seemed to make the attack dogs even more angry. But they stopped. Just as Pee-Wee was about to be eaten, the owner called the dogs back to the house. 

Had it not been for Pee-Wee, I'm thinking that the dogs may have gone after us. Anyway, Pee-Wee decided that we were a pretty high maintenance pair so he split soon after this incident. But we're grateful to the best dog we never owned. Here's to you, Pee-Wee.