Uncommon valor..........

It had been 8 months. Our planning, which included redundant spare toilet gaskets, diesel engine injectors, and assorted other minutia made no provision for this..............my hair. Kirstin enjoys a weird phenomenon whereby she never needs a haircut. Her hair seems to sprout, mature, then fall out at precisely the right time.........like a strangely but perfectly choreographed ballet on her head.

My head, however, is another story. Unless I keep it short, a wild anarchy breaks out. Huge fins appear in back, making me look like a 1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. My ears disappear, and due to my mantra that one bottle of soapy-like product is like any other (so shampoo and body wash are thus perfect substitutes), my hair gets frizzy (google Sai Baba for an image of what I mean).

Before...
At this point, luck intervened. Arja, our Finnish friend is a hair stylist. I could immediately tell my hair annoyed her by the way she coyly told me "Tom........your hair is annoying". Ouch. She looks like a blond Sarah Palin, so there was no credible come-back.

Anyway, Arja cornered me and got out her hair cutting implements. You won't believe this, but she has scissors that cost $1000. I really didn't know that there were stylists that spoke languages other than Mandarin. Hair Cuttery this was not. Anyway, she sat me down right by the dock and went to work. The humiliation of everyone walking past me was a calculated marketing plan. I even posed for a before and after shot.

I have to say, it's the best haircut I ever got. I have a feeling that she normally caters to the John Edwards set who can afford the $500 haircut..........I was very pleased. Based on my new personal grooming schedule, I should be able to go until December.