Absence makes the heart grow fonder........

Unbelievable as it may sound, Kirstin and I have spent the sum total of 15 minutes apart since January. We hadn't really planned it that way, but marrying your drinking, exercise, and sports buddy allows you to multi-task and economize on the number of people in your life.

Yesterday, we organized fun, yet separate days with our German friends Joern and Nate (yes, the ones with the 40 hp outboard). While Kirstin and Nate went to the spa and the beach, Joern and I went to the golf course and followed that up by watching a Euro 2012 game (Germany vs Greece..........only Germany showed up).

Both Kirstin and I were forced to switch our brains to "same sex communication mode", meaning that Kirstin had someone with her who chattered back with equal intensity while Joern and I happily returned to "guy talk mode".........an economy of words.

Tom- "Nice shot"
Joern- "Thanks"
Joern- "Bier ?" (translation- beer)
Tom- "Genau" (translation- exactly)
Tom- "Pizza" (translation- pizza)
Joern- "Genau" (see above)
Joern- "More beer ?"
Tom- "Ja" (translation- yes)

The night ended with me happily utilizing Nate as my stunt-double. With Kirstin grooving to the beat of Barracuda while standing at the bar, I was cleverly able to call time out and put in the "substitute Tom" for the dancing that I knew was going to ensue. Nate is an amazing dancer and can keep up with Kirstin, so it was an upgrade. I could then continue to talk about boats and sports with Joern, who took a different route to the sidelines..........he was faking an foot injury like those European footballers when the take a dive to get a penalty shot.

Anyway, it was a wonderful night which ended like they all do..........Kirstin and I held hands in the dinghy and laughed all the way home to our boat. The perfect day.