Life under water..........


Now that we don't have to worry about what to do with that $2,000 we had lying around- just getting in the way- (scuba equipment), we're spending an average of 90 minutes per day under water. It's an odd paradox...........we spend 2 hours per day on preventive maintenance so our boat won't go to the bottom.........then we jump off the back with 12 lbs of lead and 60 lbs of equipment tied to us.......and go to the bottom anyway.

Kirstin has been like an over-sugared child on Christmas day. I start to wake up and have the impression that someone is staring at me. I open my eyes. Someone is staring at me. "Are you awake yet ?" "Uh, yeah- or I'm dreaming that I married this hyperactive scuba diver". She can't get enough of the coral reefs and aquatic life that surround us here. I have to confess- it's pretty cool to swim right next to a 150 pound tarpon or a manta ray.

Kirstin's new friend
In terms of our styles underwater, Kirstin is like a hummingbird.........darting to and fro.......frantically gesturing at me to come see this eel........look at this squid........etc. I'm more of a sleepy whale......slowly plodding through the water. Yesterday, however- I had to rescue my sweet wife from a bad situation. She was swimming with her head down (bad idea not to look around once in a while, I'm told). Anyway, I was slightly behind her and 5 ft above and I saw a potential problem emerging. Kirstin was charging forward not looking.............a huge 4 ft. barracuda was hovering about 20 yards ahead of her. As she continued forward into the barracuda's space, he turned towards her.......his teeth and mannerism didn't make it look like he was a creature who yields a lot. This was going to be an underwater game of chicken. At about 5 yards away, I finally caught up to her and grabbed her. She stopped, looked up..........then a huge burst of bubbles from her respirator as she shrieked with terror. We turned around and cautiously retreated.

It is amazing what lives right below our boat. More to come.