Feelin' hot, hot, hot..........


Probably hotter than Indonesia
While we realize from Skype and the news that it's now sweater weather in much of the US, we're having a heat wave down here in Bonaire, off the coast of Venezuela. How hot is it ?

There has been absolutely no wind, and combined with temperatures in the mid-90s, let's just say it is sticky. To cool off we've been doing 2 dives each day. When we have to be on the boat, Kirstin and I take turns jumping into the ocean and bobbing around for a while until the relief of sunset comes......usually around 6:30 PM.

While Kirstin makes dinner (when we eat on the boat), I usually make our happy hour snack...........I like it to be a surprise............."Surprise !!!! Yet another cheap merlot with some chips". You get the picture. Anyway, yesterday I emerged from the galley, walked up into the cockpit and made Kirstin a tempting offer.........

Tom- "Would you like any salted nuts ?"
Kirstin- "Sure. But I thought I ate them last week".
Tom- "If you did, you'll be hearing from my attorney."

Her confusion continued until I pointed out that the neighbors (about 20 feet away) were enjoying their happy hour totally stark naked. They weren't just sitting idly by; they were walking very conspicuously around all over their boat. (those were the nuts I was referencing........clarification for our Russian and Latvian followers). BTW, there were also grapefruit, brotwurst, clams, lard, and...........OK, I'll stop.

Now we're not Puritans or anything (if nobody is around we might QUICKLY change from bathing suit to wetsuit before a dive), but here was the problem with our Dutch friends' timing. This is Regatta week in Bonaire and these small children were literally everywhere around their boat sailing dinghies. Can you imagine the scene at the finish line ?

Mom- "Jonas, why are you crying ?"
Jonas- "I saw a monster"
Mom- "There are no monsters in Bonaire, Jonas. Where was the monster ?"
Jonas- "On Uncle Jen's boat........."

Anyway, despite the heat, life is good. Just need to be conscious that there are scary things above the water too.
Scene from Bonaire Regatta - before the wind died