A stressful day.........

Even in paradise, some plans lay an egg. Kirstin got the idea to rent a car so we could go on a long hike in the mountains and end up at this waterfall/pool kind of thing in the jungle. OK........she's been a good sport on "Tom activities", so a small deposit into the marital bank seemed appropriate.

The view from our hike
I reserved the cheapest car with the most insurance possible. Why ? The cars have right hand steering wheels and they drive on the left (ala the United Kingdom). Having not driven anything since November,  I was a bit nervous. As it turned out, appropriately so.

First, the "hustle". Of course, the rental car dude said the cheap car wasn't available so I had to rent a more expensive one. With Kirstin standing behind me with sad, sad eyes, I reluctantly agreed. Would I have agreed back in DC and a 4-day business trip coming ? No. Do I have to agree since we live together in a small fiberglass tube for year ? Yes.

Anyway, the driving was absolutely terrifying. Cement trucks coming along blind corners.........all your instincts pulling you to the right side of the road......but you have to stay left. And Kirstin looking out the window.........hey, that mountain is really cool..........look at that house........."I can't look at SH_T or we're going to die, sweetie. Would you mind wiping the sweat off my brow ?"

The hiking path to Chaudiere Pool
This road we're on gradually devolves into a donkey path and we park the car. It's hot.....humid......and we then have to walk about 3 miles each way to this pool in the jungle. Gurgling, cold water......lots of mud........my wife saying "This is awesome...........don't you think this is awesome ?".......I'm delirious from dehydration and heat exhaustion............the wisdom of marrying someone so young suddenly less clear in my mind.

Tom "chillin" in Chaudiere Pool
The walk back was a bit better.  I was never so glad to give back a rental car (early). Staggered back to the boat and fell asleep. Not going to repeat this one too soon.