Let the beggar beware

I hate beggars. Here in the Eastern Caribbean, we meet a lot of them. Guys with new Reeboks, cool sunglasses, some gold electroplated jewelry. Everybody's got a pitch........a con. It's like a 1950s movies where guys in fedoras refer to each other as "Mac".

Beggar- "Hey mahn, can I have $5 ?"

Hold it. You've got nicer clothes than me (I definitely look "live-aboard" now)...........and you've made up your mind what denomination would be a suitable stipend for a citizen of your ilk ?

Tom- (with Kirstin cringing) - "No, you can't. And just so we're clear, it's not that I can't help you..........it's just that I don't want to."

Sometimes they are quite assertive. The other day, we're walking down the street to get groceries. A guy my age walks up, puts his arm around me and shakes my hand as I'm walking. Kind of like a soft-mugging.

Beggar #2- "Hey, give me a minute........this is the Caribbean; you can't just walk away and not spend 2 minutes with me".

Tom- (Kirstin still cringing) "I don't have time to listen to your bullshit. I've got to wait for your slow developing rap to unfold, you then ask for money.......then I say no. There, we're finished."

The only reason these guys persist is that it must be effective. I'm sure honeymooners from Jerkwater, TN come to St. Lucia (apparently the #1 honeymoon destination for Americans) and have never dealt with anyone they didn't know. Shazam. You're $20 lighter.

Petrified honeymoon chick to new husband- "Johnny.........give the man $20.........quick.......he said he needs it...........let's just get out of here".

Now, I like vendors. If guys come up and are selling a good, a service, or a restaurant experience.......that's OK. I'm willing to listen to any economic transaction where there is a benefit to both sides. We try to employ locals in this way as often as is feasible. I've even got a new machete and a basket of coconuts to show for it. Probably paid $100 per coconut or something, but whatever.