Land of the giants..........



Hanging out in Bonaire
OK- You have to be a fan of kitschy 60s TV to get that reference.........we're moored in Bonaire, and at six feet tall, I'm the shortest man on the island............and Kirstin ? A lilliputian. We're now in Dutch vacationland........all these Heineken swilling, beef-eating, super tall people are everywhere. Pick-up basketball game with a bunch of 5th graders ? No way (they're all 6' 3).........my "j" would get swatted into next week.
Biking through the shrub
Today we went for a bike ride.........sort of. Kirstin and I busted out the electric bikes. They look totally normal, but concealed above the back tire is a lithium-ion battery. You crank the throttle (like a motorcycle) and you can stop pedaling for about 10 miles. Sweet. People do look at you as you coast uphill, though. You can just see the "lazy american" smirk.

Windsurfing in Bonaire
Yesterday while snorkeling we got the scare of our lives. Kirstin and I aren't exactly Jacques Cousteau types. We snorkel, but I like my fish medium rare.........not staring at me at close range. Bonaire is renowned for amazing diving and snorkeling. The whole island is a marine park (we've temporarily suspended our practice of dumping toxic chemicals and bio-hazardous waste onto coral reefs). Anyway, the best place to snorkel is only 100 meters away from our boat. We saw some amazing fish; things we haven't seen anywhere else in the Caribbean. Yawn..........I'm tired. Let's go back to the boat. We start swimming, me about 20 meters behind Kirstin. All of a sudden, Kirstin comes racing back toward me like a torpedo. She points underwater at something..............I look down. Holy Sh_t ! There is a fish swimming towards us that is as big as Kirstin. It looks like a big silver garbage can with eyes. No idea what it is (I was told later it was a tuna). We picked up the pace, as we'd never seen any fish this big snorkeling. If he only knew how many of his cousins I'd had with mayo and swiss we'd have been goners for sure.

View from my beach chair
Anyway, we absolutely love this place. None of the pretentiousness of "French occupied" islands. Great restaurants..........lots to do. We're going to take wind surfing lessons this weekend. The teachers are all about 14, so this should be really interesting. "Young man, I'm not a slow learner.......your teaching methods are failing !!!!" More to come, although pictures of windsurfing lessons will definitely be heavily photo-shopped.